How do I care for my Leather Shoes?Updated 8 months ago
All of our shoes are made with Grade A full-grain leather and are treated with natural creams and oils to showcase, rather than to hide, the variations of tones and imperfections in the leather. The magic is in the leather itself. The water-based cream was made exclusively for your Sutros and may not have the same result as with other shoes.
After some time, you may start to see some wear and dullness in the leather, depending on how often you wear them. One of the common things that happen to Sutros over time is what we call the "Sofia Effect." Beeswax is used as a lifetime conditioner during the tanning process. Over time, some of the wax moves closer to the surface of the leather, as a result, a white "film" will start to coat the leather. This "film" can easily be removed by rubbing (not scrubbing) a dry soft cloth in a circular motion. The heat generated by rubbing motion will activate the wax back into the leather.
Our leathers are mostly Vegetable dyed, which means they are not waterproof. Protect them by using any waterproof spray. Try Apple Brand Garde Rain & Stain Water Repellent, Bickmore Gard-More Water & Stain Repellent, or Cadillac All Weather Shield-Leather & Fabric Protec.
Your shoes are an investment intended to last years. To lengthen the lifespan of your Sutros, use our Leather Care Kit to restore and bring your boots back to life.
What's included in the Leather Care Kit?
- Soft cotton cleaning cloth to polish and revive the natural condition of the leather. The soft cloth will remove any dirt without leaving behind any residue. To remove stubborn dirt, damp the cloth and rub gently until the dirt is removed.
- Sponge for applying natural polishing cream and to polish/buffer leather.
- All natural, water-based cream to be used with the sponge to condition and prolong the life of the leather.
How to use the Leather Care Kit
- Use the sponge to get loose dust off your shoe
- Dip the sponge in cream and use to spread it on the shoe. Polish in a clockwise motion
- Wait for the cream to dry
- Once dry, use the cloth to shine and buff